It’s probably not a surprise to you that we love our cows… The sad truth is many of our bovine friends around Europe are not happy cows, with standards of animal welfare varying greatly across the EU.
We did a bit of dairy detective work, commissioning some European research in the industry, and we found…
- Widespread health problems
- Painful illnesses such as mastitis or lameness
- Low life expectancy
- Frequent injuries and poor diet
- Uncomfortable cows, frequently injured because their housing is cramped &/or poorly designed
- Lack of access to pastures, meaning they can’t roam freely & express themselves in their beautiful bovine ways.
How can we help the cows I hear you say!? Well, as there is currently no specific legislation covering the welfare of Europe’s 23 million dairy cows, as there is for pigs and hens, we want to call for new rules to help make Europe’s cows happier.
Please show the cows some love. Join the Supporting Better Dairy campaign and call for a European Directive on dairy cow welfare.
Click here: http://www.happycows.eu/en/sign