Have you got a passion for the idea that business can be used to do good things in the world? Do issues of social and environmental justice drive you to take action? Do you have 1-3 years' experience working with charities or NGO's? Are you looking to start a career in social business or activism? Do you want a job with as much free Fairtrade ice cream as you can shake a scoop at?
Sound like you? Then you'd be perfect for our one year role based at our European HQ, 'the Barn', in Datchet, near Windsor.
A Bit About Us...
We started off way back in 1978 in a renovated gas station in Burlington, Vermont, USA, founded by childhood friends and dedicated activists Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield. In 2000, Ben & Jerry's became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Unilever whilst maintaining an independent Board of Directors to provide leadership focused on preserving and expanding Ben & Jerry's Scoop Shops, restaurants and other venues.
At Ben & Jerry's we have an inspiring ambition. We aim to pioneer our 'linked prosperity business model' to advance the global movement for social and economic justice while growing our sales to one billion € by 2020. Therefore we are expanding rapidly in Europe as well as in new countries in Asia and Latin America. This translates into a high-paced growth environment where we bring our grassroots and activist spirit every day. That is how we remain a true values-led organisation with a connected 3 part mission, which you will find reflected in your goals and aspirations:
- Social mission: to initiate innovative ways to improve the quality of life locally, nationally and internationally
- Product mission: to make and distribute the finest quality all natural and super premium ice-cream and euphoric concoctions
- Economic mission: to operate the Company on a sustainable financial basis of profitable growth
Role & Responsibility
The role will be within the European Social Mission team, which looks to use the voice of the company to create impact in communities around the world, either through external advocacy campaigns focussing on issues of social and environmental justice or by internal values-led programmes such as Fairtrade or Caring Dairy. The role will specifically involve:
- Assisting the Social Mission team with key campaigns and projects, including:
- The recently launched Together For Refugees campaign, putting pressure on European politicians to support greater refugee resettlement.
- The development of our 2018 activism campaigns across Europe, which will focus on major social and environmental justice issues that our society faces.
- Assisting the European Social Mission team in developing regional Social Mission programmes and campaigns across our 5 key countries in Europe (UK, Germany, Sweden, Netherlands and France).
- Supporting the UK Ben & Jerry's team to deliver Social Mission campaigns, including:
- Organising events with NGO partners
- Logistical support for Social Mission activities
- Copywriting for blog posts
- Management of our central procurement system for Social Mission activities
- Developing effective relationships with relevant internal and external stakeholders to achieve campaign goals and objectives for new and existing Social Mission initiatives.
- Supporting all 19 of our European countries with information requests and support to ensure we are able to deliver our campaigns and communicate our business values.
- Develop Social Mission content for websites, social media and our publishing model.
- Work closely with the digital, social media, PR and marketing teams to support the delivery of Social Mission campaigns in the UK and across Europe.
- Campaign development support to our smaller countries to begin to develop their activism.
- Administrative and logistical support to the UK Fund of the Ben & Jerry's Foundation
Skills & Experience
Given Ben & Jerry’s unique position within Unilever, the ability to build excellent relationships within both Unilever and Ben & Jerry’s will be essential. We are looking for people who can ultimately leverage the marketing excellence and operational effectiveness that is built by Unilever – while preserving the 3 part mission and community of connectivity within Ben & Jerry’s. Having the right energy and attitude to connect both parts of our organisation will be critical for success. Our kind of candidate will:
- Have a passion for sustainability and social action
- Have experience of campaigning and/or activism
- Value ethical businesses
- Be a good analytical thinker
- Be smart and swift
- Be creative
- Have an interest in emerging digital channels
- Require a strong grasp of what makes a good story
- An undergraduate degree or equivalent qualification preferable but not essential if demonstration of previous work experience in the areas above.
Our People Profile
To support out 3-part mission, Ben & Jerry’s also has an outspoken people-mission. We look for people with these characteristics to strengthen our team:
- Purpose-driven: passion and drive to make a real impact with through our Social Mission
- Empathy: curious to collaborate with a variety of personalities and styles and to build excellent relationships with internal & external stakeholders – this includes cross-functional relationships and striving for collaborative success
- Mastery: continuously learn, grow and develop to contribute to B&Js
- Autonomy: dare to make choices and take ownership
- Activism: interested in bringing about political or social connectivity
Benefits & Skills Development
The accepted applicant will get hands-on practical experience in communications and sustainability at a large multinational company, and the small nature of our team means there is the opportunity to work closely with senior members of our digital, social media, PR and marketing teams to gain valuable experience.
Location: The role is based in Ben &Jerry’s European Office in Datchet, just outside London
Contract: 12 months, starting September 2017.
Environment: We offer a multinational working environment in addition to the possibility of a full time job with us in the future.
Please send your CV and cover letter to: email@example.com with the title Assistant Social Mission Manager, by 2nd August. First round interviews will take place w/c 14th August.
In your cover letter you should refer to recent social and environmental justice campaigns that have caught your eye, or you have taken part in, and tell us why they are of interest to you. You should also reference businesses that you look up to because of the values of their company. Do also tell us what your favourite flavour is and why!
To find out more about our company and the work we do whttp://www.benjerry.co.uk!