>>> Deadline: Monday 14th November, 5pm* <<<
Do issues of social and environmental justice drive you to take action? Do you have at least 2-3 years' experience working within campaigning and advocacy at charities or NGOs? Do you believe that progressive businesses can play a role in campaigning for social and environmental justice? Are you looking for a job where you can campaign on the issues you care about and have as much free Fairtrade ice cream as you can shake a scoop at?
We're recruiting a Campaign Manager for our UK Campaign Team, based at our European HQ (AKA The 'Barn') in Datchet, Berkshire. The role will report to the European Social Mission Manager, and be based mostly at The Barn, with some time also spent at Unilever's UK headquarters in Leatherhead, Surrey.
About Ben & Jerry's
Ben & Jerry's Homemade Inc., started in 1978 in a renovated gas station in Burlington, Vermont, USA, founded by childhood friends and dedicated activists, Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield. In 2000 Ben & Jerry's became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Unilever whilst maintaining an independent Board of Directors to provide leadership focused on preserving and expanding Ben & Jerry's social mission, advocacy, brand integrity, and product quality. Nowadays our products are distributed in 35 countries in supermarkets, grocery stores, convenience stores, franchise Ben & Jerry's Scoop Shops, restaurants and other venues.
At Ben & Jerry's we have an inspiring ambition. We aim to pioneer our 'linked prosperity business model' to advance the global movement for social and economic justice while growing our sales to one billion by 2020. Therefore we are expanding rapidly in Europe as well as in new markets in Asia and Latin America. This translates into a high-paced growth environment where we bring our grassroots and activist spirit every day. That is how we remain a true values-led organisation with a connected 3 part mission, which you will find reflected in your goals and aspirations.
- Social Mission: to initiate innovative ways to improve the quality of life locally, nationally and internationally
- Product Mission: to make and distribute the finest quality all natural and super premium ice-cream and euphoric concoctions
- Economic Mission: to operate the Company on a sustainable financial basis of profitable growth
Role & Responsibilities
The role will be within the European Campaigns Team, which looks to use the voice of the company to advance the movement of social and environmental justice around the world. This role will be dedicated to developing and executing social and environmental justice campaigns in the UK that align with Ben & Jerry's global Social Mission strategy. Our strategy has two focusses; the fight for climate justice and for a more equitable world through social inclusion. This role will be tasked with building on the justice campaigning the company has run over the past ten years in the UK; tapping into movements in the UK that seek to bring change to our planet and society. The role will specifically involve:
- Ownership of local campaign development and execution for our two strategic focus areas of social inclusion and climate justice, with the priority of social inclusion in the initial 12 months. The climate justice campaigning will involve building on the work of our Save Our Swirled campaign to tap into local climate justice flashpoints in the UK (e.g. Renewable Energy & Fracking), and developing effective campaigns to bring people together at a time of increasing division.
- Developing effective relationships with relevant internal and external stakeholders, especially movement builders and advocacy NGOs, to achieve established goals and objectives for new and existing Social Mission campaigns.
- Leading on developing greater understanding of the issue and policy landscape in the UK of the two strategic focuses.
- Converting relationships with movement builders into tangible campaigns that relate to our strategic focus areas. This could involve creating stand-alone campaigns or tapping into campaigns already underway to amplify to a larger audience.
- Leading on the campaign development in the UK, working closely with our policy, digital, social media, PR and marketing teams to create campaigns that seek to create true social change in a way that is in line with our company's heritage on campaigning.
- Organising events to build our network and understanding of the issues we work on, including logistics support.
- Creating content on our two strategic campaign areas for our digital advocacy model, including blog writing and other content development.
- Developing campaigns that are; political but non-partisan, tap into justice movements that are already underway, are uniquely Ben & Jerry's, drive true social change and are fun, because as our co-founders say, "if it's not fun, why do it?"
Skills and Experience:
Given Ben & Jerry's unique position within Unilever, the ability to build excellent relationships within both Unilever and Ben & Jerry's will be essential. We are looking for people who can ultimately leverage the marketing excellence and operational effectiveness that is built by Unilever - while preserving the 3 part mission and community of connectivity within Ben & Jerry's. Having the right energy and attitude to connect both parts of our organisation will be critical for success. Our kind of candidate:
- Be creative
- Be passionate about social action and justice campaigning
- Have experience of working on social justice campaigns (preferable)
- Value ethical brands
- Be a good analytical thinker
- Be smart and swift
- Have a passion for communication
- Be a self starter
- Have an interest in emerging digital channels, especially within social action
- Have an interest in PR, or a strong grasp of what makes a good story
- Have a degree within politics, political economy, communications or marketing (preferable)
Our People Profile:
To support our 3-part mission, Ben & Jerry's also has an outspoken people-mission. We look for people with these characteristics to strengthen our team:
- Purpose-driven: passion and drive to make a real impact through our Social Mission
- Empathy: curious to collaborate with a variety of personalities and styles and to build excellent relationships with internal & external stakeholders - this includes cross-functional relationships and striving for collaborative success
- Mastery: continuously learn, grow and develop to contribute to Ben & Jerry's
- Autonomy: dare to make choices and take ownership
- Activism: interested in bringing about political or social connectivity
Benefits and Skills Development:
The accepted applicant will get a hands-on practical experience in campaigning and the ability to lead projects with high levels of autonomy, as well as working closely with our policy, digital, social media, PR and marketing teams to gain valuable experience.
Location: This role will be based in Ben & Jerry's European Office in Datchet, Berkshire.
Contract: Initially 12 months, starting in 1st January 2017, with a three month probation period.
Environment: We offer a multinational working environment, flexible working and as much free Fairtrade ice cream that you can shake a scoop at.
Remuneration: £30-35K, dependent on experience
To apply, please send your CV and cover letter to: email@example.com with the title Campaign Manager by 5pm on Monday 14th November 2016.
In your cover letter you should highlight two social justice campaigns that have caught your eye in recent times, outlining:
- Why they have been successful in bringing sbout social change?
- How they effectively engaged with people power
- How the campaign understood power dynamics
- What you believe could have been improved in the campaign
We’d also love to hear your thoughts on the challenges facing communities across the UK. Do also tell us what your favourite flavour is and why!
To find out more about our company and the work we do visit www.benjerry.co.uk!
*For any questions about existing applications, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org