Do you have experience working in campaigning within the NGO, charity or grassroots movement-building space? Have you got a passion for the idea that business can be used to drive positive change in the world? Do issues of social and environmental justice drive you to take action? Values-led ice cream company Ben & Jerry’s is recruiting a Head of Social Mission to lead the activism team across Europe.
The Head of Social Mission Europe leads the development of regional activism strategy, supporting and mentoring members of the European Activism Team in the development and execution of impactful campaigns that drive impact on issues that align with Ben & Jerry’s progressive values. We anticipate that refugee and asylum seeker rights will continue to be the main focus for this work, as it has been in recent years. The Head of Social Mission Europe is a critical part of the Global Advocacy Team and requires working collaboratively with global, regional, and local market team members. This role also oversees the Ben & Jerry’s ICE Academy program that provides entrepreneurial assistance to newcomers in several cities in the UK and Europe, and in addition is responsible for managing the UK Ben & Jerry’s Foundation. The Head of Social Mission Europe is a member of the Ben & Jerry’s European leadership team, based in Datchet, UK.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
The primary role of the Head of Social Mission Europe is to support Activism Managers based in six European markets (currently) in translating Ben & Jerry’s core values into successful externally-focused activist campaigns for progressive policy change using our unique activism model. This role requires working closely with the EU Country Level Activism Mangers and Country Business Leaders across Europe. Specific responsibilities include:
- Working closely with the Head of Global Activism Strategy, lead the development and ongoing evolution of a regional strategic framework that provides direction for activism campaigns for progressive policy change.
- Support the development of strategies that deliver authentic and “living” campaigns in European markets that tie in with our global and regional Social Mission strategy and focused on our core values of human rights and dignity, economics and social justice, and environmental protection and regenerations.
- Mentor and support the development of individual Europe based campaign team members while ensuring that individuals work together as a high functioning team that leverages each team member’s strengths and expertise.
- Ensure that campaign strategies, key messages, and tactical execution of campaigns are fan facing and designed to help people take action through the development of compelling content and experiences across our key channels and touch points.
- Support Country Level Activism Managers in developing and nurturing relationships and opportunities to work with multiple stakeholders, including: businesses, non-governmental organisations, progressive advocates, civil society organisations, movements, policy makers and public officials; to help build people powered movements and advance our campaigns and the strategies of our partners.
- Work with Country Level Activism Managers to deliver campaign strategy plans that are approved by the Ben & Jerry’s Board of Directors Activism Subcommittee.
- Once a country level strategy is approved by the BoD, support the marketing and comms teams in the development of a campaign execution plan that includes key messaging and campaign creative.
- Participate as a team member in the global advocacy team which is responsible for developing global advocacy strategies and goals and delivering against the annual social mission activism plan.
- Maintain a network of European civil society contacts and partners across issues of environmental and social justice to ensure our campaigns maintain their credibility and authenticity.
- Be a catalyst within the global and regional teams of innovate ways of campaigning that drive increasing impact while helping define the the standard for progressive corporate activism.
In addition to these responsibilities, the Head of Social Mission Europe provides oversight to the Ice Academy, a program run in collaboration with an NGO partner to provide entrepreneurial training and short term wage earning opportunities to refugees in several locations in the UK and Europe, supervising and direct report with day to day responsibility for these activities. The role also manages the UK Ben & Jerry’s Foundation, which provides small grants to activist organizations working toward systemic change to advance Ben & Jerry’s core values.
Skills & Experience
Given Ben & Jerry’s unique position within Unilever, the ability to build excellent relationships within both Unilever and Ben & Jerry’s is essential. We are looking for people who can ultimately leverage the marketing excellence and operational effectiveness that is built by Unilever – while preserving the 3 part mission and community of connectivity within Ben & Jerry’s. Our kind of candidate is/has:
- Three to five years of previous campaign experience and a proven track of campaign strategy development. Experience campaigning on a regional EU level a plus.
- Experience working on refugee rights and policy beneficial but not essential.
- Minimum degree or equivalent practical experiences in Political Science, Sociology, Community Organizing or related fields relevant to this work; Marketing, Communications, or a Business degree a plus.
- A strong knowledge of public policy and the political process in Europe.
- A belief in the power of grass-roots campaigning and commitment to movement-building as a theory of change.
- Experience and understanding of how to use a diverse set of tools and channels, including physical stores, digital and social media, to inspire people to action in support of progressive social change.
- Creative, with strong storytelling and communications skills. Able to simplify and create engaging communications around what are often complication and serious issues.
- Values ethical brands, with experience working directly in or with business a plus.
- Experience working across multi-cultural and diverse communities.
- Strong interpersonal, leadership, communication and diplomacy skills.
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills and comfortable talking to the media.
- Experience with representing a brand to press relations/industry/media
- Attention to detail, planning and preparation.
- Ability to influence internal and external partners in order to establish a collaborative stakeholder alignment across a complex globally matrixed organization.