Fried Sweet Plantain, Spicy Chocolatey Black Beans, Salsa, Toasted Walnuts, all on a soft mini tortilla.
In celebration of World Vegan Month, our Scooper Star Gaz Oakley has created some vegan recipes inspired by our Non-Dairy range. Ice cream fans get ready for the chunkiest, funkiest dish inspired by Ben & Jerry’s Non-Dairy Chunky Monkey flavour.
INGREDIENTS - serves 6
3 Ripe Plantain, cut on a 45-degree angle, 3 inches long
Vegetable Oil, for frying
3 tbs Vegetable Oil
1 Red Onion, finely chopped
3 Cloves of Garlic, minced
1 Fresh Jalapeño Chilli, chopped fine 3 tsp Sea Salt
1 tsp Ground Coriander
2 tbs Chipotle Paste
2 tsp Ground Cumin
1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
2 tsp Dried Oregano
2 tsp Dried Thyme
1 tbs Chipotle Paste
2 tins Black Beans, drained & rinsed 480ml Water
2 tbs Tomato Puree
2 tbs Soy Sauce
Juice of 1 Lime
1oz Dark Chocolate, dairy free Handful Chopped Coriander
2 Ripe Tomatoes, deseeded & chopped small Handful Fresh Coriander, chopped fine
1/2 Red Onion, cut into fine rings rings
1 Fresh Jalapeño Chilli, chopped fine
Juice of 1 Lime
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
50g Chopped Walnuts
6 Mini Tortillas
Drizzle Mexican Hot Sauce 6 wedges of Fresh Lime
For the beans
- Pre heat a saucepan over a medium heat & add the oil followed by the onion, garlic, chilli & salt. Sauté until softened.
- Then add the dried spices & herbs, cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chipotle paste and black beans followed by the water, tomato puree, soy sauce & lime juice.
- Place a lid on the pan & allow the beans to simmer for around 20 minutes or until it has thickened.
- Once thick, stir in the chocolate & chopped coriander.
For the Salsa
Combine all the ingredients in mixing bowl. Cover & leave in a refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
For the Plantain
- Just before serving, fry the plantain in vegetable oil set at 180 degrees C until golden brown.
- Remove from the oil once cooked and place on a tray lined with kitchen paper.
To plate, top a warm mini tortilla with a large spoonful of the black beans then top with a piece of plantain, a spoonful of salsa & a sprinkle of chopped walnuts. Serve with hot sauce & a wedge of lime on the side